The recent news of the death of climbers, while sad does not bring as much remorse since
I found out most use DEX to enhance their ability to climb. Some use it to recover from Cerebral
Edema and pulmonary edema.....amazingly stupid people!
Those of us affected by cancer and specifically Myeloma know the correct use of Dex and these
idiot climbers use it to make it to the top of the Mountain and back down.
Climbing Mt. Everest is like taking a revolver loading one bullet in one chamber and spining it
and putting the gun to your temple and pulling the trigger, repeatedly!
About 23 years ago, I was joining a local club and a young couple were joining at the same time. He was French. Not long after, I heard he died while climbing a mountain. He got into one of those situations where the weather turned before he could get back to a camp and he froze to death on the mountain. His wife was pregnant with their first child. I have always wondered, when you're lying there knowing you are not going to make it out alive, are you saying to yourself, "this was still so worth it?" This guy left a young widow and a child who will never know his father because he wanted to climb a mountain. There are people struggling to stay alive, fighting illness, etc. I have nothing against bucket lists, but to throw your life away like this seems so ridiculous to me. For what? To see a view, to say, "I did this?" There are far nobler things to do with your life.
ReplyDeleteI could not agree more! All I want to do is retire and ride the Amtrac all over the U S and maybe ride the Canadian version of Amtrac.
ReplyDeleteOh, Keith, I am so with you. I would do anything for Tim to be able to retire and just travel the country. I went across this great country in an RV with my family in 1977. I want to do it with Tim and our daughter SO bad. But, there's this little hurdle about paying the bills and keeping a roof over our head that gets in the way. And, the summer is my husband's busy time in business. I would hit the road tomorrow if we could afford to do it.
ReplyDelete