Yesterday I had my 7th Zometa infusion with local bloodwork and had prepared/centrifuged and shipped my Dr. B Box to Little Rock for the MIRT analysis. I discussed my continuing fatigue and exhaustion with local Onc. He works out of the Sarah Buchanan Cancer Center in Nashville. They ran a check to see if my Thyroid is messed up and the cause of my fatigue? Highly unlikely! My IV nurse was very nice she and I discussed her child going to UTKnox. and my daughter going to Belmont this fall..... How quickly they grow up.
I should be getting a call from local onc. if anything is needing fast attention, otherwise I will be receiving my lab results from Little Rock on Thursday evening or friday morning. I find that amazing that Little Rock can generate results and a complete analysis in just over 2 days! The box went in the USPS at noon monday, with the Box arriving in Little Rock on Tuesday with results in two days! Simply amazing especially when I read about people on the Myeloma Beacon waiting 3 weeks for test results.
I want to encourage everyone out there if they are having doubts about their treatment to consult with the UAMS MIRT. I have had nothing but wonderful care and my late brother who had advanced stage III Myeloma in 2002 was given by them 5 yrs+ to see his daughter in College and her get married and his son graduate High School and most important of all he had a good quality of life for a sizable portion of that time. He had 2 stem cell transplants and he was just at the advent of Thalidomide
treatment in combination with Velcade and Dex. I believe he missed the next generation of Thalidomide i.e. Revlimid and he certainly did not benefit from early detection!
I also encourage all of you out there who have siblings and adult children to have them tested with
the SPEP, " serum protein electrophoresheus" sic. This standard protein test can be done in a annual checkup and my experience is that most insurances will pay, particularly since a family member or members has already Myeloma.
I will get off my Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy band wagon now and go on.
Take care out there!
No comments:
Post a Comment