I read this morning of the first hiker in Denali's record history of being mauled and eaten by a Grizzly.
As one who has regularly hiked in Grizzly territory this reminds us all it is the bears home and we must respect it. During my hikes I have always been wary and alert to bear sign and I have always been equipped with strong bear spray, bear bells and not "pushed my luck." During one trip to Yellowstone my kids and I were climbing "Bear Mountain" the location of a mother bear and her cubs! I was more leary than ever, in fact, I was so spooked climbing that we turned back, both because of the time of day and our lack of the above mentioned items. It was sad to hear the US Park service shot the supposed offending bear! This is their feeding season and the time they really start putting on fat for winter hibernation. I know it is cruel of me but the damage to that hiker had been done and shooting the bear does not bring back the hiker.
I have hiked a great deal in the Smokeys and their it is the black bear which is far more aggressive and will climb the tree after you if you flee up it!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment